Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Banana Cupcakes with Lemon Icing

I know I haven't posted in a bit but I was away on vacation, so here's a recipe I tried right before I left.  I wanted to impress my mother-in-law, I hope I succeeded since these cupcakes/muffins were yummy.  Thanks again to Chloe Coscarelli for another delicious recipe from her book.  The only problem I had was with the icing, it turned out to be more of a glaze, but then again, I might have put too much liquid in it. 

For the Banana Cupcakes:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 cup mashed bananas, from approximately 2 very ripe bananas mashed on a plate using the back of a fork
1 cup canned coconut milk, mixed well before measuring
1/2 cup canola oil
2 teaspoons white or apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract

For the Lemon Icing:
1 cup powdered sugar
3 to 4 teaspoons lemon juice (I used 4)
1 tablespoon water
1/4 to 1 teaspoon lemon zest (I think I used closer to 1 rather than 1/4, I like lemony flavor)


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line 2 12-cup cupcake pans with 18 cupcake liners.

Mash the two bananas with the back of a fork.
In a large bowl, whisk together bananas, coconut milk, oil, vinegar, and vanilla.
In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and ginger.
Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and whisk until just combined.  Do not over mix.




Fill the cupcake liners about two-thirds full with batter.  Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean with a few crumbs clinging to it.  Cool the cupcakes completely before frosting.

To make the icing or glaze, whisk the powdered sugar, lemon juice, water, and zest in a small bowl until smooth.
Spread a thin layer of Lemon Icing over each Banana Cupcake, and enjoy!
Yummy!






2 comments:

  1. I am doing a cookbook challenge to cook every recipe from Chloe's Kitchen.
    Hope you don't mind that I added your post to my blog page under "Others who made it".
    http://eileenlikestoeat.com/2013/06/10/cookbook-challenge-chloes-kitchen-banana-cupcakes-lemon-icing/

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problem! I'm just excited to find a person I don't know commenting on my blog, lol. :-)

    ReplyDelete