Here's what you'll need for the cake:
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 sticks butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (omit if you are using salted butter)
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup finely grated lemon peel, or 2 teaspoons of Penzeys' Minced Lemon Peel covered in 2 tablespoons warm water for 5 minutes (I used Penzeys)
- 6 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt (if using) in a medium bowl and set aside. In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter, sugar and lemon peel at medium speed until pale and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.
Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the vanilla and beat well.
To prepare the glaze, stir the powdered sugar into the lemon juice and keep stirring until smooth and thick. When the cake is completely cool, set the rack over a baking sheet or waxed paper. Drizzle the glaze over the cake, letting it drip down the sides.