Monday, August 19, 2013

Oatmeal Cookies (done the Babycakes way)

I've been on kind of a baking kick lately, and one afternoon I was craving cookies, so I baked some oatmeal raisin cookies.  This recipe comes from Babycakes Covers the Classics, so since it's Babycakes, it's going to be gluten free and vegan.  I didn't have gluten free oats, so I just used regular oats.  They turned out great, but once I put them into the cookie jar, they fell apart, so they are a little cakey. 

I also found out some news, a lot of my family might have a gluten intolerance.  My cousin found out her son has Celiac's and my mom has Crohn's, which is a close relative to Celiac's.  A good portion of my mom's side of the family has had stomach problems, and just passing it off as, "well, it runs in the family..."  So now that I have found out this not-so-surprising news, I'm going to try and go gluten free for a month to see how I feel.  I usually thought it was the milk in the cheese from pasta, so I would always avoid anything with too much cheese in it at Italian restaurants or big gatherings.  We shall see the results of this experiment.  Sorry for rambling, now onto the recipe.

Here's what you'll need:
  • 1 3/4 cups Bob's Red Mill All-Purpose Gluten-Free Baking Flour
  • 1 cup vegan sugar
  • 1/2 cup Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free Oats
  • 1/4 cup ground flax meal
  • 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons xanthan gum
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup melted refined coconut oil or canola oil
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
  • 3/4 cup raisins
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.  Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, oats, flax meal, cinnamon, xanthan gum, baking soda, and salt.
Add the coconut (or canola) oil, applesauce, and vanilla and stir with a rubber spatula until a thick dough forms.
Add the raisins and stir until evenly distributed.  Drop the dough by the tablespoonful onto he prepared baking sheets, about 1 inch apart.
Bake for 8 minutes, rotate the baking sheets, and bake for 7 minutes more, or until golden brown.
Let stand on the baking sheets for 15 minutes before serving.  Enjoy! 





No comments:

Post a Comment