Friday, September 27, 2013

Annie's Granola with Coconut from Penzeys

Today is another Penzeys recipe and it was submitted by a woman named Ann W.  I've never made my own granola before and honestly never really knew what was in it.  I knew some things were in it, but not how it's made or how it gets stuck together.  This recipe was a little time consuming but the end result was delicious.  Ann W. suggests sprinkling it on some vanilla yogurt with some fresh in-season fruit or dried fruit.  As you can see, I topped my Greek yogurt with it.

Here's what you'll need:
  • 3/4 cup safflower or olive oil (I used olive oil)
  • 1/2 cup pure honey
  • 2 teaspoons of Penzeys Cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups quick-cooking oats
  • 2 cups old-fashioned oats (don't worry if you only have one, you can use it in place of the other)
  • 2 cups unsweetened coconut flakes (I used shredded coconut, and if you use sweetened coconut cut the honey by 2 tablespoons)
  • 1/2 cup chopped peanuts
  • 1/2 cup slivered almonds
  • 1/2 cup cashew halves (I think I used walnuts in place of the cashews since I didn't have any cashews lying around)
Preheat oven to 300 degrees.  In a large mixing bowl, combine the olive oil and honey and mix well.
Add the cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt, and mix thoroughly.  Add the oats, coconut, and nuts and mix on the lowest setting of your mixer or by hand until combined.

Spread the mixture onto a jellyroll pan or an 11"x17" baking pan with sides (or use 2 smaller pans).
Bake for 10 minutes then stir, especially getting the mixture in the corners.  Continue to bake, stirring every 10-15 minutes so as not to burn.  Remove from oven after 40-45 minutes so the mixture is browned but not burned.  Cool completely in the pan, about 1 hour.  Keep in an airtight container.
Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment