Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Spiced Pumpkin Cheesecake

Once again, I apologize for not updating my blog more often, but the semester is almost over and I will soon have more posts up.  I have many I want to post, but I just haven't had the time, I'm making the time now because this one is just too good to wait.  I usually bake my Pumpkin Pound Cake for my aunt's annual Thanksgiving dinner, but this year I wanted to be different.  I decided I wanted to bake a cheesecake, I got the idea from out of all places, The Cheesecake Factory.  I know every year in the fall they have a pumpkin cheesecake on their menu, so I went onto epicurious.com and found a few recipes there.  I decided to use Bon Appetit's October 2002 recipe.  It came out great, and it was a real hit at Thanksgiving. 

You will need a springform pan and a roasting pan.  Make sure the springform pan is at least 9", the recipe calls for a 10" one, but I used a 9" and it just fit all the ingredients. 

For the crust you'll need:
  • 9 whole graham crackers (about 4 ounces), broken
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, melted
For the filling you'll need:
  • 4 8-ounce packages cream cheese, room temperature
  • 1 1/2  cups sugar
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 15-ounce can pure pumpkin
  • 1 cup whipping cream
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
First position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350 degrees.  Wrap double layer of heavy duty foil around outside of springform pan.  Combine graham crackers, sugar, and cinnamon in processor, blend until graham crackers are very finely ground.
Drizzle butter over.  Using on/off turns, blend until crumbs begin to stick together.  Press crumbs onto bottom (not sides) of springform pan.
Bake until crust is slightly golden, about 10 minutes.  Transfer to rack and cool while preparing filling.  Maintain oven temperature.

Now, onto the filling.  Using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese and sugar in large bowl until smooth and fluffy.
Beat in eggs one at a time.
Add pumpkin and remaining 7 ingredients.  Beat just until blended.
Pour filling into prepared crust.  Place springform pan in a large roasting pan.  Add enough water to come halfway up sides of springform pan.
Bake cheesecake until slightly puffed and softly set and top in golden, about 1 1/2 hours.  Transform springform pan to rack and cool.  Cover and refrigerate cake overnight.
Using a knife, cut around sides of pan to loosen cake.  Release pan sides.  Cut and serve, and enjoy!






No comments:

Post a Comment