Friday, September 14, 2012

Braised Chicken with Asparagus and White Wine



Hey everybody, sorry it's been a few days but it's been a busy week at work.  The week before After School starts is always the busiest I've been told, and it definitely was.  I made this recipe on Monday or Tuesday, I can't remember it's been a long week, from my cookbook Robin Takes 5.  One thing to remember always cut the hard stalks off of your asparagus!  I must have been tired that day because I completely forgot, after all it's not the first time I've worked with asparagus.

This is also the very first blog with poultry.  I don't usually like to handle raw chicken so I try not to make it too often.  However, making chicken is very easy and quick, and with the right seasoning, tastes great.  So enjoy!

What you'll need:

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 1/4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 tablespoon lemon and herb seasoning ( I used Penzeys Spices' Mural of Flavor)
1/2 cup dry white wine or vermouth
1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 bunch asparagus, stem ends trimmed and spears cut into 2-inch pieces (I didn't cut them into pieces...oops.)

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Add the chicken and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until golden brown on all sides, stirring frequently.  Add the seasoning and cook for 1 minute, until the seasoning is fragrant.  Add the wine and cook for 1 minute.






Add the broth and asparagus and bring to a simmer.  Simmer for 3 to 5 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through and the asparagus is crisp-tender.





Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper before serving.

Note:  Depending on how thick your chicken breasts are, it might take longer to cook than state above. 

1 comment:

  1. Looks great! And I have an easy solution to your chicken-handling problem: make the guy do it. Jeff's been the designated meat handler around here for a few years now ;)

    ReplyDelete