Sunday, September 16, 2012

Penzeys Chicken and Broccoli with Raspberry Enlightenment



 Hey all!  Hope everybody's weekend is going well, and I'd like to wish all my Jewish readers (whoever that might be) a Happy New Year.  In case you didn't know, to those who don't practice Judaism, Rosh Hashanah begins at sundown tonight. 

When I received this month's Penzeys catalog, it was dedicated to their Raspberry Enlightenment, which isn't a spice, it's a jam.  There were many recipes featuring this jam as an ingredient in a wide variety of food.  A lot of them were dinner/lunch recipes that featured it.  I would never have thought you could put a raspberry jam on a cheeseburger, chicken or green veggies like asparagus and broccoli.  When I made the chicken and broccoli recipe on Thursday evening, I was pleased by the outcome, and so was my husband.

I also just want to say "sorry" for the blurry pictures, I usually take pictures from my iPad using Evernote.  Since the lighting in my kitchen is bad when the sun goes down, this is the best my iPad can do.  I'll try to used a camera when it's darker out next time.


What you'll need for the Chicken with Raspberry Enlightenment:

2 boneless/skinless chicken breasts
1/2 tsp. Ground Pepper (I used Penzeys, and it did make a difference in taste as compared to my table pepper.)
1/4 tsp. Granulated Garlic Powder (Again I used Penzeys, I'm not sure if there was that much of a difference though.)
1/4 tsp. Powdered Ginger (I used the one that came with my spice rack.)
1/4 tsp. Thyme (From my spice rack.)
1/4 tsp. Kosher-Style Flake Salt (I just used regular sea salt, which is flaky.)
1 TB. Olive Oil
1 TB. Raspberry Enlightenment
1 tsp. Soy Sauce

What you'll need for the Broccoli with Raspberry Enlightenment:

3 Cups cut broccoli
2 tsp. Olive Oil
1 tsp. Raspberry Enlightenment
1/2 tsp. Mural of Flavor (One of my favorite Penzeys Spices.)


First, rinse the chicken and pat dry.  Season with pepper, garlic, ginger, thyme, and salt.  Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat in a large heavy pan.  Cook the chicken breasts for 10-12 minutes, depending on how thick the breasts are, turning every few minutes so the chicken is browned on both sides.





While the chicken is cooking, cook the broccoli in a pan with 1/2-inch of boiling water until done, 3 minutes or so, depending on how soft you like it.  It will continue to soften a bit after cooking.



  Drain the broccoli very well.  Return the pot to the stove over medium heat and add the olive oil.  When hot, add the broccoli and then drizzle with Raspberry Enlightenment.  Sprinkle with Mural of Flavor, toss and serve.


Just before removing the chicken from the pan, take the pan off the heat and drizzle the chicken with Raspberry Enlightenment and of soy sauce, turning to coat both sides.  Serve with broccoli.

I realize that the chicken doesn't look evenly coated but I kept turning all the pieces over to get an even coat.

You can serve this dish over rice as well.  Enjoy! 


No comments:

Post a Comment