Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Decadent Double-Chocolate Bundt Cake

 Hey everybody!  Sorry it's been a while since I posted, been busy with a lot of stuff.  I'm trying to decide if I want to keep working where I do or if I should just go back to school in January as a full time student to get my certificate in bookkeeping.  Honestly, I think I rather go back and get the certificate so I can get a better paying job.  I like my job, but it's not something I can't see myself doing the rest of my life.  I know bookkeeping may not sound like the most exciting thing ever, but I'm a very quiet, shy person (around new people), and this would fit my personality.  I was thinking about going to cooking school, but I don't want to make one of my hobbies into a career, because then I may end up hating having to cook when I come home from work.  I tried making music into a career, and I ended up not enjoying playing my piano...which I miss greatly now! Anyway, my husband's birthday was at the beginning of November and I made him this chocolate bundt cake from my CookingLight Way to Bake cookbook.

Here's what you'll need for the glaze:
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup chocolate-flavored liqueur
2 tablespoons butter

Here's what you'll need for the cake:
1 1/2 teaspoons canola oil
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
Cooking spray
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
6 tablespoons butter, softened
2 large eggs
2 large egg whites
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
13.5 ounces all-purpose flour (about 3 cups)
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups 1% low-fat milk
2/3 cup semisweet chocolate minichips
2 tablespoons powdered sugar

First you'll have to prepare the glaze, so combine the first 4 ingredients in a small saucepan.  Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly.  Cool completely.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  To prepare cake, drizzle oil into a 12 cup Bundt pan;  coat pan thoroughly using a pastry brush.  Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons flour, shaking out excess, then coat preparted pan with cooking spray.  I know it sounds like a lot to prepare the pan, but you don't want your cake to stick to it while you're trying to get it out of the pan.

Place 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar and 6 tablespoons butter in a large bowl;  beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended (about 5 minutes).  Add eggs and egg whites, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.  Beat in vanilla.
Weight or lightly spoon 13.5 ounces flour (about 3 cups) into dry measuring cups;  level with a knife.  Combine the flour and next four ingredients, stirring with a whisk.  Add flour mixture and milk alternately to sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture;  mix after each addition.  Beat at medium speed for 2 minutes.  Fold in chips.  Spoon batter into prepared pan.  Swirl batter using a knife.
Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.  Immediately pour glaze over cake.  Cool cake in pan on a wire rack for 30 minutes.
Invert cake onto a serving plate;  cool completely.  Sprinkle with powdered sugar.

Enjoy!  








No comments:

Post a Comment