Sunday, November 4, 2012

Don's Mom's Apple Pie from Penzeys done by me, Carly


This was my second apple pie, and this recipe came from the Penzeys' Spice Store.  I've probably told you this before, but when you go in their store, they have recipes all around their displays.  I believe they change them seasonally. 

So this was one of the recipes hanging around the store I decided to try, it's called Don's Mom's Apple Pie.  I don't know who Don is, but I tweaked his mom's apple pie a bit with a couple of different spices.  I made the pie at my parents' house yesterday while doing my laundry and spending time with my best friend.  She's been staying at her parents' place until she and her wife get their power back.

The pie turned out great, the crust tasted just like a Girl Scouts' Shortbread cookie.  I'm really glad I baked it all from scratch.  I also got to use the last of my apples that I picked about a month ago.  I'm also really glad my best friend is allergic to apples because there was more for me and my husband.  :-)

What you'll need for the crust:
3/4 cup butter (1 1/2 sticks), cold and unsalted
1 1/2 cups flour (I used all-purpose, but I think pastry flour would work well too.)
2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
3-4 tablespoons milk

What you'll need for the filling:
6 cups apples (I used whatever I had left over, but the recipe lists 4 Macintosh and 2 Red or Golden Delicious)
1/2 cup regular sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar (I used light brown)
3 tablespoons flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
--------------------
(1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg)
------------------------------
Instead of what's in between the lines, I used:
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon apple pie spice (all Penzeys)

1 egg white whisked with 1 teaspoon water (I didn't use this for the top, just the cinnamon sugar)
1 tablespoon cinnamon sugar (Penzeys)


Prepare the crust first.  Cut up the butter, put it in a large bowl, and add the flour, sugar and salt.   Rub it between your fingers until crumbly and pea-sized.  Mix milk in by the tablespoon until the dough just holds together when mixed with a spoon.  Divide into two pieces, one about 2/3 of the dough, for the bottom crust, on about 1/3 of the dough, for the top crust.  Pat each one into a flat disk and wrap in a plastic wrap.  Refrigerate while preparing the filling.

To prepare the filling, peel, core, and slice the apples.  Place in a large bowl, top with sugars, flour, salt and spices. 
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Remove the pie dough from the fridge, sprinkle the table with flour, and roll out the larger bottom crust, flipping gently once while rolling.  Place in a glass pie dish.
(I should have brought my own rolling pin, that's my mom's in the background.)

Top with apple filling.
 
Roll out the second smaller top crust. If you want to use the egg white mix, brush the edge of the bottom crust with egg white mix, and then place the top crust on.  Vent the center of the crust with a knife, and then crimp the edges.  Brush the top with egg white mix, and then sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar. 
Place in preheated oven and bake until brown and bubbly, about 55 minutes.

Wait about an hour to cool, and enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment