Sunday, July 15, 2012

Vegan Chocolate Cake from Penzeys Catalog

Many people, including myself wondered how vegans made cakes with out eggs.  Every recipe I have used to make cake or cupcakes I had to use eggs.  Eggs create that stickiness so all the ingredients get combined, right?  Yes, I believe so.  When I have made vegan cupcakes in replace of eggs I would use applesauce or canned pumpkin (depending on the recipe).  This recipe didn't call for any of that.  It came out very yummy, moist but not overly moist, and the frosting was sweet but not overly sweet.  It was the best chocolate cake I have ever made thus far.  It was also the easiest. 

This recipe is from the Penzeys catalog.  One thing I forgot to mention in a previous post is that the catalog has recipes in it from the Penzeys customers, and every catalog has new recipes.  :-)

What you'll need for the cake:

3 cups flour
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons salt
6 tablespoons of Penzeys Dutch Cocoa Powder
2/3 cup vegetable oil (it's suggested to use canola)
2 tablespoons vinegar
2 teaspoons Penzeys Double Strength Pure Vanilla Extract
2 cups water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease and flour a 9"x13" pan.  In a mixing bowl, sift together flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, and cocoa.
In a second bowl, combine oil, vinegar, vanilla, and water.
Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix well.
                               (I love how it bubbled from the combination of vinegar and baking soda.)

Pour into the pan and bake until the cake is firm in the center and begins to pull away from pan, about 35-40 minutes.  I think I had my timer at 38 minutes and a toothpick came out clean from the middle.





For the icing:
4 tablespoons oil (canola)
4 tablespoons water
6 tablespoons sifted cocoa powder 
2 cups sifted powdered sugar

Using a double boiler, heat the water and oil to boiling (it won't come to a rolling boil, but bubbles will appear).
Remove from heat. Blend in the cocoa and sugar.
Beat until smooth.
Pour over the cake, spreading the icing to the edges, and let it cool.
Enjoy! 

1 comment:

  1. You didn't put the amount of baking soda in the recipe's list of ingredients. So I didn't put any in and my cake is ruined now.😢

    ReplyDelete